Saturday, July 6, 2013

Our Book Club book: CALICO JOE



This month the book we're all reading is CALICO JOE by John Grisham and it's not going to be one of my favorites, but it is probably just me. It is a short sports novel that's about five and a half hours long. In 1973, Chicago Cubs record-breaking rookie Joe Castle from Calico Rock, Arkansas, steps up to bat against New York Mets pitcher Warren Tracey, and the outcome changes both their lives. Decades later Warren is dying, and his son Paul tries to bring the two ballplayers back together. That's the description from the BARD site.

I really like just a certain type of book, and even though there are books the club chooses that I think that I might not like, I read them anyway and end up really liking many of them. Not this one.

The SAZCB Book Club meets at SAAVI in Tucson at 1:30 this Saturday, July 13 to discuss CALICO JOE. You can get it from these sources: AUDIBLE, BARD, BARD Braille, BOOKSHARE, or Kindle. For the discussion you can call 218-548-3992 and use access code 6320547. As always, the meeting is open to everyone.

Next month the book will be SNOW FLOWER AND THE SECRET FAN by Lisa See. I will let you know Saturday what the club thought of this one.
 
Mitzi

No comments: