Sunday, June 6, 2010

Described Movies

I would really like to talk to the movie theaters about descriptive video. If you don’t know, that is a system in a theater that takes a second audio track that the movie studios put on a film that describes the movie to someone wearing headphones. It is also called descriptive narration. We are lucky that theaters do that but I wish they would advertise it more. A lot more people would go to them if it was just more known. When I go myself, the theater staff often does not even know that they do it. The managers know but not other workers, and the theaters that offer it seldom promote it properly. If we as visually impaired people ask often for it to happen, they’d get better at it.

Wouldn’t it be fantastic if the film companies included the availability of descriptive video in every ad they run on television, in the newspapers, on web sites, and everywhere else they run ads and trailers? Hopefully with some work and time that will happen. I know that I am going to work on it.

Mitzi

No comments: