Sunday, August 12, 2012

We Have Always Lived in the Castle

At the last book club meeting we talked about WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE, Shirley Jackson’s last book, published in 1962.

photo of Shirley Jackson
Shirley Jackson
Starting off I was not sure that I would enjoy this book and as it went on i still kept wondering if I would like it. It was very different from anything I have read before. I am more into humor books and sometimes mystery, but this one is not in those areas; no way.

As it went along I was really trying to figure out who really killed the family and so started the guessing game that I really enjoy doing with books.

Still, it was a very different book. When we had the discussion it was quite unanimous that it was just plain good, and it was one of the best discussions we have had in this club. It was a relatively short read of about five and a half hours.

This meeting was entirely over the phone conference line. We have also started an email notification list and will send out reminders and cancellations with it. Write me at MitziTharin@gmail.com to get added to it.

The next book also sounds interesting. On September 8 we’ll get together and compare notes on THE RAINMAKER, a seventeen hour legal suspense novel by John Grisham. It’s available from BARD, Bookshare, Talking Books, and NLS Braille in four parts: 1 2 3 4.

Mitzi

No comments: